Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Chasing the bus

Running after the bus is my only form of exercise after discharging from National Service. It amazes me how tired I can be despite the fact that it is only a short 100M sprint. (300M if I run to the next bus stop)

Whenever I see an approaching bus, I have to decide in less than one second to run after the bus or wait for the next one. Any procrastination would cause me to be late for our appointment or work. It is necessary to make a fast judgment on the time taken I need to run to the bus stop and the time taken needed for the bus to reach the next bus stop.

If you decided to run after the bus….

The advantages of running after the bus is that you get to reach work/appointment on time as punctuality is important as you may lose your credibility if you are late always. However, the disadvantages are that you may look really stupid as everyone is starring at you. Some might even smell foul after a sprint and spot a really cool hairdo after the frantic run. In worst cases, you might fall and drop some of your belongings, picked it up and create a bigger HOOHAA. But still, you reach on time!

If you decided not to run after the bus….

The advantages of not running after the bus is that you get to preserve your poise and you can still smell nice when you reach your work place. Disadvantage would be late for work and an extra 15 minutes of unproductive idle time.

How to decide whether to run or not?

We often refuse to try because we cannot predict the outcome. “All rollercoaster rides look scary” But 9 out of 10 take a second ride after their first try.

RULE OF THUMB No.1

The bus can reach first, but you must first catch the bus uncle attention in his mirror!

RULE OF THUMB No. 2

It is better to be early than late!

RULE OF THUMB No. 3

A great 15 second workout!

What if we ran but still missed the bus?

It’s the exactly feeling when it comes to a courtship. I set my eyes on this girl and I decided to go for it. After putting so much effort, she said I wasn’t her cup of tea. Likewise after running frantically after the bus, you wave and scream at the driver to wait for you, but because the driver had to move on, he pretends not to see you. For me, I’ll run to the next bus stop.

What if the bus still refuses to stop?

I would wait for the next bus or take MRT. Likewise, she may not be my cup of tea, but I might fall for a cup of TEH SI. There’s always a next bus on the way.

So what is your damn point?

No bus driver in the right mind will wait for you at the same time everyday. It’s up to us to monitor their schedule and make up for the differences if we fall short of it.

No comments: