Tuesday, 9 September 2008

The Ultimate Wedding

Finally, after months of procrastination and incubation, I’ve thought of my latest topic. THE ULTIMATE WEDDING! Thanks to OPPRAH! Was watching OPPRAH yesterday at home and they featured a DREAM WEDDING edition.

Couple of months back, I posted this topic to my group of friends over dinner. “What is the most important thing to a woman which she deserves but men hardly pay attention to” The response includes WEDDING, SECURITY, ROMANCE and even VIRGINITY.

There’s no right or wrong answers to this question but it wasn’t what I was looking for. But because of a marketing gimmick I was thinking of for an event managing business model, what I feel is actually “Marriage Proposal”. Imagine this, much effort can be put into the proposal, after the proposal you can flaunt it to your friends and family and repeat the story as many times as you like. Best part of it; share the story with your children in many years to come.

I actually did a survey to find out which married couple actually had a marriage proposal before they were married and to my surprise, NONE! All along I assumed it was a norm. Isn’t that supposed to be? All the shows (Movies, Japanese Serial, Korean Dramas, Hong Kong Serial Drama) I watched had at least a scene of marriage proposal before the couple got married. In reality, all they had to do, is go to HDB HUB and sign on the dotted line. That was what Nasri told me. How about those guys that goes on their knees in public and proposed? Sweet? I think that’s totally CHEAP! What if the lady is not mentally prepared? It will be so embarrassing. I seriously think that unless you’re praying to God or begging for forgiveness, one should not kneel down unnecessarily.

My definition to marriage proposal would be an event that time and effort is taken into consideration of. For instance, time is taken to organize and prepare that special moment, secondly, effort is put in to create that atmosphere.

It is not advisable for me to give specific examples but perhaps I should cite a few for some inspiration. For instance, you guys enjoy dining along boat quay. You can actually rent a boat, decorate it with balloons, and arrive with a bouquet of flowers. I don’t have to elaborate further what happens next, but I confirm guarantee plus chop. She’ll appreciate what you’ve done at least. That’s 50 pts added! Fine! Some might think it’s a form of show off, how about this? There’s definitely a favorite song for everyone. If you are musically inclined and you know how to play an instrument, good for you! However if you have no musical background, fret not! It’s actually lagi better because the effort you spent learning that piece of song would actually carry more weight. 70 pts added!

Now that she has agreed to marry you. Congratulations! Now let’s talk about weddings in

Singapore

.

I always feel that there’s something lacking in wedding dinners. This is because

§ We have no idea how the couple met?

§ What’s the couple occupation?

§ How long have they been together?

§ How did the guy proposed to her?

§ What do they like about each other?

§ Special moments they can’t forget

What’s the first thing that came to your mind when people talk about wedding dinner?

  • Latecomers?
  • Red Packet Expenses
  • Late Dinner?
  • Dress Code?
  • Sharks Fin?
  • Suckling Pig?
  • Booze (YUM SENG)

What do you wished for if it was your own wedding?

  • Your guests to be happy for you
  • Hospitable treatment for your guests
  • Your guests to enjoy themselves
  • Things to run smoothly

I feel that there are many things that can add color even to the simplest wedding. An expensive wedding might not be an eventful or fun wedding. The only difference is that the utensils are more shiny, the suckling big is heavier, the hotel name has a harder name to pronounce and the air conditioner is slightly colder. However, an expensive wedding does not exactly add to the overall experience. For a more colorful event, the emcee could pose a few questions to the bride and the groom so that the guests can be educated on the love story of the couple. Throw in more juicy information like what is the groom fetish and I’m very certain gorging their food is not the only activity your guest will indulge in.

As for late comers, I have thought of a solution but I’ve decided not to post the solution online so as to be the pioneer in Chinese tradition wedding to start dinner on time. HAHA! For some that can spare the budget, perhaps throw in some games or song to entertain the guests. I think it will make the whole event livelier. At one point of time, I even thought of lucky draw for my guests. Well, just a thought!

There are different schools of thought when it comes to wedding. In the economical sense, its something not advisable because of the large outlay of cash involves. However there are certain things that can’t be measured with money.

No comments: